Zachary's Journey Through Autism

This is a blog dedicated to updating our family and friends - those that have a love for and interest in Zachary's journey through Autism.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

And Now He's 4!!!

Yep, we can't believe it, but we now have a four year old!!! Crazy how time flies! Zachary turned four on Sunday. His birthday party was a big success this year! He actually was excited and understood that it was HIS birthday! He asked every day last week for his birthday party, birthday cake and birthday presents :-) I had to explain that today was Wednesday (or Thursday, etc) and that his party is on Saturday. Amazingly as soon as I started to explain the days of the week thing to him, he chimed right in knowing the next day of the week in order. I was shocked, as I've never worked with him on calendar stuff, he must have learned it at school. But regardless, he understood that Saturday was his party, and it wasn't Saturday yet. Way cool. But he still asked everyday for his party anyway :-) What kid wouldn't I suppose!!

His party was at a local gymnasium where we've had numerous play groups before. I knew that he loved it there and that it would be low pressure and comfortable for him. We got there and he was very excited! But then got very shy and reserved for a while once everyone started showing up, mainly people that don't usually belong there like the grandparents. I guess that threw him for a loop with everything not being the same as it always is in the past when he goes there. But once he was used to them all was well! He had a blast and especially loved when everyone sang happy birthday to him!!!

So yesterday was to be his big four year old doctor's appointment. I brought my Dad with me for emotional support, as I knew the shots wouldn't be as easy to get past at this age as they were two years ago the last time that he had one. But it turns out that he has ANOTHER double ear infection, so the doctor wouldn't give him his shots anyway. Just more darn antibiotics. Poor kid. I swear he's been on them for at least 1/3 of the entire last year, hence the ENT appointment that we have in two weeks. But I was very relieved to skip the shots honestly, as I found out that he would have been getting SIX shots!!!! Can you believe that???? And there's no reason other than convenience for them to have that many at one time. They just need all these vaccinations before they start Kindergarten. Okay, fine - that's about 18 months from now. So why 6 at one time into a 33 pound child??? No way. So I have definitely decided to split them up. It will be a pain to go in to the office multiple times with our crazy busy school and therapy schedule, and it won't be fun to have Zach suffer through the whole process of getting shots multiple times instead of one. But I just don't care. That's what I'm going to do. I can't have all that crap running through his system at one time. I just can't. Even 150 pound adults don't ever get SIX friggin' shots at one time!!!!

So no school this week = Zach and I are about to kill each other!!!! We're going shoe shopping for him today - and will hopefully find some soccer cleats too. I can't wait for soccer to start in a few weeks! How darn cute!!! And then he has Speech this afternoon. But all the hours in between will be filled with head-strong brattiness, oh boy :-) I can't wait for this stage to pass!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home