Zachary's Journey Through Autism

This is a blog dedicated to updating our family and friends - those that have a love for and interest in Zachary's journey through Autism.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

So this is what it's like...

It is simply the most amazing thing in the world for me to have had this conversation with my son last night. You know, the one with Autism that a year and a half ago we weren't sure would ever say a full sentence? Well check this out. I have had a very evil sinus infection, which is not fun at all when you are pregnant and have limited drugs that you can take. I was sulking/retreating to a quiet place in my house last night when Zach zoomed by on his scooter and found me. Then the following magic took place:

"Hey Mommy, what cha' doin'?

Mommy's sick baby, please go play with your toys.

"No Mommy hurt. Mommy come play with Zachy toys"

No, sorry hunny. Mommy doesn't feel good.

"Mommy bandaid?"

No thanks, Mommy just needs to sit here, she has an owie.

"Get outta here mommy, play with toys mommy"

No hunny, I'm sorry.

(stares at me for a moment and then...) "A hug for you" and climbs onto me and gave me a hug.

Okay, aside from the AWESOME back and forth with me, staying on topic and speaking appropriately, the fact he thought on his own and pulled the idea from his own little head about giving me a hug because I didn't feel well.... well that's the first time that he has ever acknowledged and/or done something about emotions. Ever. It was amazing. The phrase "a hug for you" is from a book title, but who cares, it was totally in context and appropriate!

So this is what it's like to have a conversation that isn't predictable, and to have an end result that you didn't see coming. Simply amazing. Our little boy is coming around so rapidly these days. I just can't say it enough. Go Zachy!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

That's great and so incredible sweet!

2/07/2007 7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home