Zachary's Journey Through Autism

This is a blog dedicated to updating our family and friends - those that have a love for and interest in Zachary's journey through Autism.

Monday, December 04, 2006

A Beautiful Song

I have always found that there is an appropriate song for every occasion, circumstance, occurrence, and emotion thus far in my life that just kind of gets me - right- there. And now, low and behold.... I found this song back in October of 2005, and had written the lyrics down in my journal. I just came across it again and wanted to share it. It's quite amazing!

It was a mid December evening,
In a room of heavy breathing,
When I looked into my little baby's eyes.
And like the ships that sail the ocean,
He had captured my emotions,
Wrapped them up just like a gift
At Christmastime.
I thanked the Lord above that he was mine,
Prayed to God that everything was fine.

After months we saw him changing.
Nathaniel's speech was rearranging.
So we took him back to see what they could find.
And after ironing out the creases,
They came up with missing pieces,
And they told us that Autism's on the rise.
I looked into my little baby's eyes,
And promised him to find the reasons why. *Tears pooling up here...*

Now I lay him down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my son could speak. *And it got me here - full-on sobs*
And make him strong where he is weak,
This I ask of You...
And just like him there's many more
That need our help to win this war.
Cause who knows what might lay in store,
To help them make it through.

The doctor says there's so much more to do,
To put the pieces back together.
But it's up to me and you.

So now we lay them down to sleep,
And pray the Lord they all could speak.
Make them strong where they are weak,
This we ask of You...
Cause now we know there's so many more,
That need our help to win this war.
And who knows what might lay in store,
To help them make it through.
Yes, who knows what might lay in store,
The missing piece is me and you...

This is a song by Mark Leland - gotta give him props. Just amazing!

And I also wanted to add another emotional tid-bit.... There is a website that posts postcards that people send in. The premise is that you are to write down your "secret", whatever that may be, and then mail it to this guy who posts some of them on his site. He also has a few books published of nothing but these people's postcards. I'll be honest, I mailed one in over a year ago about our secret - which was Zachary's Autism and our fear of sharing it with everyone that we knew for fear that they would judge our son differently. It didn't get posted, yet anyway. But this Sunday (when he updates the site each week with new postcards) the very first one on the page was the first one I've ever seen about Autism. And it got me. It has a picture of what I assume is an Autistic boy. And the writing on it says: "The Autistic boy that I work with is teaching me more than I'm teaching him." Yep, that one got me too! The fact is that while it has been a very tough road emotionally with Zachary and the nasty "A" word, it has also been rewarding. We get to experience every single little step with our son. Nothing goes unnoticed. I've learned more life lessons than I could ever get into words, but one of the main ones, is that we really have to slow down in life. Zachary has taught us how special he is, if we just give him a chance to show us. We can't rush things with him, and that's really a blessing. We get to see everything - every new word, every new awareness, every new like and dislike, etc with him. These aren't things that we just realize one day, like with parents of Neurotypical children, they are things that are so big for him that we see them the second they happen. And for that reason, he has taught us to slow down and notice. To stop and smell the roses, if you will. What a blessing! Anyway, I was proud that an Autism postcard was published by this site, and if you want to check it out yourself just go to www.postsecret.blogspot.com. But warning, there are many crude postcards on there too....

Okay, enough emotion for one day :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home