Zachary's Journey Through Autism

This is a blog dedicated to updating our family and friends - those that have a love for and interest in Zachary's journey through Autism.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Shedding Some Tears

In follow-up to my last post about Zach's school...

There have been 3 days of school so far for this school year. Only three. And I've cried twice.

The First Time - when I dropped Zachary off the first morning of the first day I cried as I drove away. Not the typical first day jitters cry, or my boy's gotten so big cry. I cried out of sheer love and fear for my little man praying that he will fit in and make friends. It's all about making friends and being social for him. He already knows his shapes, colors, numbers, letters, etc. Not that he doesn't have more to learn - but his primary opportunity to benefit from this school year is through socialization. That will bring out his speech too. A win - win. Well, not so much if he doesn't have any friends there. So I cried for fear of rejection. The kids are at an age now where they know he's different, but don't care why. They just move on to someone else who can talk to them. And who doesn't jump up and down in place when excited and/or flap his hands oddly. So my tears hurt. The fear hurt.

The Second Time - today. The note the teacher sent home did it. It reads under the "Social Interaction" section: "Did very well - 'fits in' with friends." I don't need to write more except to say that it was instant happiness and relief all tied into one. And that I am now comfortable saying goodbye to the Special Education class!

I can cry like that all day :-)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God is GREAT, God is GOOD. God is bigger than everything. I've cried twice too, reading these last 2 blogs. Truly an answer to prayer.

8/23/2007 2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah for Zach!!! Sounds like he's going to have a great school experience (until boring old homework that is...ha)!

8/24/2007 8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home